Re: [FWDLK] those 22 American cars in 1939

Re: [FWDLK] those 22 American cars in 1939

The Lincoln-Zephyr was marketed separately from the Lincoln due to the fact
it was so much cheaper than the big Lincolns.  The Lincoln Zephyr competed
against the LaSalle and the Chrysler New Yorker.  It was not replaced by the
Mercury.  The Mercury was introduced for 1939 to fill the gap between the
Ford and Lincoln-Zephyr.   The last Lincoln-Zephyr was 1942, but the 1946-48
Lincolns were Zephyrs in all but name.

Companion makes :
Oakland - Pontiac (1926 and on)
Oldsmobile - Viking (1929-30)
Buick - Marquette (1930)
Cadillac- LaSalle (1927-40)
Nash - Ajax (1925-26) and LaFayette (1934-36)
Hudson - Essex  (1919-32) and Terraplane (1933-37)
Studebaker - Erskine (1927-30) and Rockne (1932-33)
Paige - Jewett (1922-27)
Chandler - Cleveland (1919-26)
Reo - Wolverine (1927-28)
Marmon - Roosevelt (1929-30)

Companion cars were sold at the same dealer as the parent make.  Thus the
Jewett was sold only at Paige dealers, for example.

Plymouth and DeSoto were not companion makes,  They were set up with their
own dealer networks and their own marketing firms.   The Erskine, for
example, was built and sold by the Studebaker Corporation.  Plymouth was
built and sold by the Plymouth Motor Corporation, a subsidiary of the
Chrysler Corporation.  Similarly, the DeSoto Motor Corporation, the Fargo
Motor Corporation and the Dodge Brothers Corporation handled DeSoto, Fargo
and Dodge Brothers / Graham Brothers production and sales.  Chrysler
converted their subsidiary corporations into divsions around 1934.

Plymouth, DeSoto and Fargo were all introduced in an effort to expand the
Chrysler Corporation along the lines of General Motors Corporation.
Remember, Walter Chrysler cut his auto teeth at General Motors.  He was
president of the Buick Motor Company and a vice-president of General Motors
from 1916 to 1920.

Bill
Vancouver, BC