From: Bill K.
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 1959 New Yorker convertibles - How Many Left?

I'd suspect the survival rate more like 40% or better on these.  286 cars is
a little over 5 examples for each of the 50 US states.  Those cars in
salvage yards, barns, garages, or abandoned in the woods/fields, will not
come up in searches of registered or restored cars, but I am sure they're
still out there somewhere.  My estimate is that there are some 50,000
pre-1970 automobiles in old salvage yards and collections scattered about
New York State, and I have already come across a number of lower production
cars, including some MoPar products.  So if you allow a loss of 40-60% for
accidents, fires, and scrapping what were 'just old cars' at the time, that
still leaves you with a decent number around.  The problem is you have not
only the US, but the entire world for them to be scattered around.  But I
keep finding them even with my relatively limted area of searching.

Bill K.