Re: [FWDLK] hack job discussions! long reply with my two cents

Re: [FWDLK] hack job discussions! long reply with my two cents

This was a great email. Thanks for telling about your vehicles.
I'm gonna be looking for you at Carlisle.

My response is that I am a 56 year-old car freak.

I love cars. I lean strongly toeard Mopar stuff, but can appreciate
almost anything that is done well.  I like the restored cars so I can
see how they were done.  I restored a 1941 Plymouth businessman's
coupe.  I went to great pains to do that.  When I was done it was
nice, but it didn't move out to suit me.  I needed more.  I have a
couple
of muscle cars and a 1996 Viper.  They move out, but don't have
the ForwardLook.  I have no problem with combining features to get
"the look" an owner wants with the "move out"  ability they want. I'm
guilty of such "conversions"  too.  I have a 1937 DeSoto coupe that
was 327 Chevy powered and I am going to swap in one of my
vintage hemi engines when I can get around to it.

That project will ...
usually get approved because it is a streetrod project.  Some people
get hung up on the year of vehicle involved.  To operate on a 1957
in such fashion will not be so well received by them.  I have a 1955
Coronet with flat head six, 3 on the tree, dual glasspacks, etc. If it
didn't sound better than anything I own, I might be tempted to swap
it to a different engine.  The car is rust-free from Oklahoma.  I also
can satisfy my need for speed with the other cars.  That is a huge
relief.  My two-cents on this is that it is impossible to build a
vehicle
that will be alll thngs to all people. Fast, loud, quiet, cruise slow,
good
economy, beautiful, smal, large, great handling, warm, cold, ...  !

           The owner gets to put together the vehicle
           with the features the owner desires.

I only grade stuff on the execution.  Well done is good.  Poorly done
is a hack job.   No matter what was attempted, a restoration or a
race-car,
or a custom.

Tom
southern Ohio

>>> <Finned440@xxxxxxx> 06/25/04 18:49 PM >>>
       these are the best times --- when we find out more and more about
the
modified forwardlook cars out there!!  think about it- a perfect correct
fury
is about as exciting as going to the dealership and seeing a
factory-correct
2004 crossfire.
personally i have 12 57-9 plyms... ranging from all stock, low mi, fact
air,
etc.... all the way up to the currently underway 500 stroker,
alum-headed 680
dyno'd HP 57 fury.... also a 96% rust free car on top of it all..... it
almost
makes me cry to think of cutting those virgin wheel wells out to make
room
for 31x12 tires out back.
daily drivers include a 264,xxx mile, never-rebuilt 318 poly/3spd col,
extra-solid western 58 savoy and 59 fury with a 68 imperial 6-way seat
int and 69
newport 383/727/3,23 suregrip.

just did a chassis swap last night of a 57 2drht body onto a rustfree
37,xxx
mile 58 4dr frame and floor platform. may be the new daily driver if i
sling
in a tunnel ram 413 i have laying around- or just give it a poly for
that
all-original, rust free facade!

did anyone see the last "Christine" on ebay?????// the 59 fury rear
clipped
w/a 58 savoy, 58 belv nose, 58 dash/interior.... with the only noticable
diff
being the 59 bubble windshield and vent window shape??
so tell me, was something like that innovative or a hack-job???
i think it would be interesting to get into the minds of both the
purists and
the rodders and kustom fans out there!!!

AND you'd all enjoy a ride in the hemi-powered purple fury!! i'd have to
say
without bragging that adam's fury and my mini tubbed, 440/man727
Christine
dominate the forwardlook streets in the NY/NJ area... and prob most of
the east
coast.... and both cars will drive up and down the coast as well, radios
blaring, taching over 4k all day.
see them both in carlisle in 2 weeks!

jim