[FWDLK] Dealing with 'civilians'.

A pleasant weekend to all in the Forward Look fraternity/sorority.

Thank you for the stories.
Perhaps my experiences with know-it-all types from outside the hobby
might help.

As much as I love relating one-on-one to anyone on cars, I suspect that
some (most? all?) of the inappropriate comments from passersby are based
on envy, although they wouldn't admit it if they were stretched out on
the rack.

So naturally, I try to capitalize on that. ;-)

Whenever I'm confronted by some loudmouth who's making negative
comments, I'll wait a decent interval and then ask nicely "Uh, where's
YOUR car?"
(Chances are, it'll be [1] some mundane thing like a family minivan, [2]
a rustbucket, [3] both, and/or [4] parked out of sight.)
But I'll insist he point it out or tell me.

When he finally does, it'll be accompanied by a rapid stream of
babblings about what he "used to have", or what he's "about to buy", or
what he's "working on".
No matter; I just smile and say
"Oh, yeah, I've been saving up for one of THOSE", then look at my watch
and excuse myself.

Regards....
Lou