Re: [FWDLK] Unusual 'factory' built cars (was: [FWDLK] RED PLYMOUTH

Re: [FWDLK] Unusual 'factory' built cars (was: [FWDLK] RED PLYMOUTH FURY)

I do have a strange tale of "Factory" customization on my Plymouth.

According to the build sheet, it was a 1958 Savoy 2-door hardtop, but when I
bought it, it had Belvedere trim.  I just assumed this was something that
MoPar Mel did, but after tracking down the past owners via IA DMZ records, I
found out differently.

The car was purchased in December, 1957 by a lady near Cedar Rapids, IA.
When the car was delivered, she was upset that it "was not the car she
ordered" -- it had different trim.  She had seen the Belvedere in the
showroom, but ordered the Savoy to save a little bit of money, not realizing
that the outside trim would be different.

According to her sons (who were also the second & third owners), she told
the dealer she didn't want it unless it looked like the one she had seen
earlier.  Soooo, it went into the body shop and got a very quickly-applied
set of Belvedere Sporttone and matching white stripe, and the lower Savoy
trim and paint were quickly covered with a fast coat of Copper Glow.

After a warning from the dealer to avoid dust and puddles (the paint was
still wet), away they went with a Savoyvedere -- only 90 minutes later.

Now, obviously my car left the factory as a Savoy, but dealers in those days
would do whatever it took to make a sale.  Built as a Savoy, but delivered
as an unusual hybrid/mismatch/mishmash!  =)

-Dave