From: Garrett <TheBulkster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] RED PLYMOUTH FURY
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:26:07 -0500

I have experienced the same thing.  Although I've likely owned far less cars
than most everyone else on the list, its always the Mopars that people have
trouble with.  My 72 Impala is always recognized as a Chevy product, and
usually as an Impala (although Caprices and Bel-Airs were essentially the
same car, so a guess on any of those isn't too unusual).  When I had my 57
Dodge, it was anything BUT a 57 Dodge.  The closest guess I ever got was a
DeSoto...which considering the car was completely covered by snow at the
time and I was out front cleaning it off, that's not a bad guess.  One of my
favorites was I believe someone called it a 58 Chevy...I know 57s were so
popular, so that guess makes some sense, but I'm not sure about the 58
guess.  I think it was someone who thinks he knew cars...probably saw it
wasn't exactly a 57 so he just guessed a year he didn't know.  My 78 Dodge
Magnum had just about NO badging on the outside, so when most people
complemented it, it was "Hey, that's a sweet car."  I don't think anyone
ever screwed that one up on me...aside from the occasional Monte Carlo
remark.  Having worked in retail the past 6+ years, I have long since come
to realize that there are a LOT of 1D10Ts out there, so I usually just smile
and thank people for the complement rather than try explaining things.
Besides, I do enough explaining at work and the less time I spend talking
(or explaining things) to people I don't know when I'm off the clock, the
happier I usually am.

Garrett