Before you take the nut off, check for any movement (free play) in the bearing, it should spin easily but have no discernable side play. If there is a little looseness in the bearing it can be adjusted either by removing a shim from in front of the pinion bearing or tightening the crush sleeve, depending on what style of axle you have. The Chicago Rawhide store will also have a "speedy sleeve" available to repair the seal surface on your yoke, if needed.
I use a 1/2" air wrench to remove/ replace the pinion nut, a drop of locktite on the nut is a good idea. The nut needs to be tight enough to keep things seated together, 90-100 foot/ pounds is enough. If you over tighten the nut, it's possible change the preload and bind up the bearing, it takes a lot of pressure, maybe 200 foot pounds or so, not likely you'll do that at home
Mike.

At 11:12 PM 3/15/2005, David Homstad wrote:
Kyle,

I just had my Dodge?s pinion seal done 2 years ago. I watched the process as the mechanic did it. It is important that when you re-torque the pinion nut that it stops in the same place as it was when you took it apart. That holds the gear adjustments in-place. Otherwise, premature gear wear could result. Mark a scribe line on the nut, pinion flange, and pinion shaft for re-alignment. Lock the tries from rotating. It is OK to tighten the nut slightly past the scribe line to assure proper torque, but only a few degrees. A few drops of LokTite on the nut is also a good idea. An impact air wrench is very useful. Inspect the pinion flange surface where the seal contacts for excessive wear. A little silicone RTV sealant applied to the outer diameter of the seal shell is also a good idea.

New seals are available (about $25) through most auto parts stores from Chicago Rawhide: http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500

-----Original Message-----
From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard Whelan
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:46 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Differential seals and wiring

You just need to remove the drive shaft,pinion yoke and the seal. Of course drain the differential down below the level of the seal and refill with the proper lube after. You will need a torque wrench with the capacity to torque the pinion nut back to the specification in the service manual. No other disassembly is needed. Dick