Re: [FWDLK] Driving Miss MoPar....

That's what I heard too: your engine's got to be capable to handle the
advantage of premium.
The '57 Dodge owners manual says on page 19:

"A WORD ABOUT FUEL - The D-500 engine requires premium fuel. The Red
Ram, Super Red Ram and Get-away Six engines deliver highly efficient
performance with regular grades of fuel."

Now, that says it all, not?
In the Engine Data on page 49 and 50 I read the D-500 has higher
compression (9.25, the others have 8.5) and uses different Spark Plugs
(not hotter, but longer/shorter?).
We know it has a different carb, with larger jets.
And when I look up the tune-up specifics, the D-500 requires different
timing, centrifugal and vacuum advance.

Now, this all is clear to me: I ONLY use Premium.
The guy I bought this car from, always said "it needs a little fine-
tuning", because he couldn't get to operate it properly. He ALWAYS
used (cheapest) Regular. He laughed about me when I told him he should
only use Premium.
And since I feed Mr. Greene Premium, it spins like that big cat that
I've recently received pictures from!

My daily drivers are a Volvo V70 and a BMW K1200S motorcycle. These
new transporters have computers in them to run the engine, and they
can take (almost) any fuel. I drive about 625 miles a week and simply
found out that using Premium gives about 10% more milage and so
actually is cheaper in use. I also found out that not every brand is
the same. Especially a motorcycle engine is critical and I found out
that the one brand Premium gives more milage then the other.

But the latter is not FWLK...

End of story: use Premium when your manual says so, AND have your
engine tuned to handle so! Also: whenever possible, use the same brand
ALWAYS!

Jim.