[FWDLK] Transmission Colors and MORE

In researching any process that was done at the factory, one always has to keep in mind what the LEAST labor intensive and MOST cost effective method is of getting it done.  It is all about profits.
Thus in doing the engine and trans paint, there is only one point at which to paint the engine oil pan, block, water pump, fuel pump, pulleys, intake manifold, bellhousing and that is as one assembly.  You've all read sometime in a magazine about overspray at the factory getting onto exhaust manifolds around the mounting flanges of the overjudged Corvettes for example.  Also true in our cars I'm sure.   It also explains why there is little to no paint on the backside of pulleys and intake manifolds and valley covers.  Then too, the emergency brake drum being painted explains why there is no paint on the inside face of the backing plate or internal components.
Now some parts on engines came from outside suppliers.  Air cleaner housings are perhaps the best example.  They are almost always a different color than the engine even if only a different shade or gloss.  This is because the car company (e.g. Chrysler) specified to the component manufacturer (e.g. AC for the 300 Letter Cars) that they wanted bronze-gold on that part, or gloss black on most others and red on some others).  It was important that whomever stamped the fan blades paint them fully because if the paint was inconsistent one area would rust more quickly and cause imbalance (remember rust is the addition of oxygen to metal).
Torqueflites came from a separate shop fully owned by Chrysler.  Thus the assembled complete torqueflite was painted in that division but it was painted with the exact same Chrysler-approved formula as was being used over at Chrysler's own engine shop so it matches perfectly.
Another consideration is rust during manufacturing and as cars sit on dealer lots.  Thus the axle plant would paint axle assemblies before they were shipped to the assembly line where briefly they were stored outside in Detroit winter or rain.

There are always time line considerations to these things too.  If the way they did it for years got analyzed and they said "we could get by" without painting this or that, eventually the accountants got their way.  Thus in '57 it was decided that front suspension components were of sufficient metallurgy that they wouldn't rust so quickly that they would look bad even after a year in new car inventory on dealer lots.  So the former practice of painting control arms etc. was abandoned mid-'57 and I have a copy of the Dodge division advisory of this change.  The factory saved some labor and paint expense and you the restorer received another headache about just what is original for 1957.

Wayne