Re: [FWDLK] Speedometer gears

Jim,

In order to calculate what new speedo gear to select, you need to baseline where you are starting from. You will need a watch with a second hand and a freeway with mile markers. When you are going 60 mph it takes 60 seconds to travel 1 mile. Cruise at a steady speed that you think is 60 mph and measure the time. Adjust your speed until you are getting 60 seconds between mile markers and note the mph reading on your speedometer. Some states are more accurate than others when planting mile markers, so an average of several miles is best.

Next you need to remove the speedo gear from your transmission and count the number of teeth on the gear. Consult your shop manual. Then put it back.

The math is simple.

T = the number of teeth on your current speedo gear.

X = the number of teeth your speedo gear should be to be accurate.

C = your current speedometer reading at 60 seconds per mile.

Plug the numbers into this equation:

C x T =  60 x X

Or

X = CxT

        60

Example:

T = 18

C = 68

X = 68x18 = 20.4

         60

X = 20 teeth

A higher tooth count will slow down your speedometer.

I am also looking for a speedo gear for my 1962 – 1965 727 Aluminum TF. I need a 21 tooth gear, P/N 2204360. These are different than the earlier cast iron TF and the later 727s. Anybody have one or a source?

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500