To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Just How Fast Were The Cars Back Then?

The 101 trap speed is not much-more than could be expected (maybe 92-95 mph) in a true OEM competition, but, the E.T (low 14's) is literally incredible, UNTIL its modern tires/chemical-compounding is taken into consideration, along with the hidden/ non-divulged mechanical up-grades, that every car in that competition, must have
received.

Ain't no WEIGH that the Merc ran on 7.50 or 8.00 Goodyear Wingfoots (and with an
'open' rear end)!

Even the modern racing-fuel is probably better than the pump-gas available in the 50's, but, I don't want to debate that point, altho the road-testers certainly put straight
Hi-Test 100 octane gasoline in their cars.

Neil Vedder

William Huff wrote:
Check out the 1958 Merc. Admittedly optimized for drag racing with a 4.56:1 rear end, but I don't think it was faster than the 300s or the hot Furies or Dodges back in the day.

http://www.purestockdrags.com/2007-files/results_2007.xls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvDibdO3cM&feature=youtube_gdata&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Pure-Stock-Drags_Videos+%28Pure+Stock+Drags%3A+Videos%29

Bill Huff