Re: Solved: Points/Ballast Resistor Gurus Needed!

Re: Solved: Points/Ballast Resistor Gurus Needed!

Some of the stuff in that article are pretty dated, but the relevant parts are still good.  Your question and The link that Gary provided have finally answered a question that's been rattling around in my head for years.  I was in Navy electronics school at San Francisco in the "Summer Of Love"  My hair was too short to wear flowers in, but I had lots of fun anyway!  Among the things I learned in that school was that dielectric materials are electrical insulators.  What I've finally figured out is that having good metal to metal contact is necessary but having the connector body packed with dielectric grease is fine.  You just need to be sure that the metal parts are making good solid contact!!!

The purpose of packing the connector bodies with "grease", as pointed out in the article is to prevent air and moisture from causing corrosion again, after you've thoroughly cleaned the contacts.  Mr. Ehrenberg didn't say "dielectric" grease, so after reading the article several years ago I have used axle grease and I've sprayed 'em full of white lithium grease and both have worked well - never any more bulkhead connector problems in those vehicles.

I will be using dielectric grease from now on, 'cause "the experts" that I read stuff from all seem to agree that it's da bomb!  I found a 3 ounce tube of Permatex brand "DIELECTRIC TUNE-UP GREASE" at a local generic parts store.  There are probably other brands available.

I'm glad you asked the question, and grateful to Gary for the link where I found that MOPAR recommends the dielectric grease

Thanks folks!

BC