From: r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 10 May 2007 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 fuel sender unit

Hello again Tom,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the instrument cluster!
Paul is right here (isn't he always :), your voltage limiter (inside the
Temp gauge) is defective.
This is a sort of breakerpoints construction, with a bi-metal that is
heated by the 12 Volts of your car battery. When the piece of metal has
heated up the breakerpoints are opened, the bi-metal cools down then and
the points are closed. The whole cycle starts again and again and
again....

Resulting in a sort of constant voltage for the gauge of appr. 6 Volts.

Glad to hear that you disconnected all the senders, so your gauges will be
save then. It is very easy to fry them.
You have to pull out the instrument cluster to gain access to the old
limiter, you must disconnect it permanently from the terminals of the Temp
gauge.

In case you haven't pulled out the cluster before, it is very easy.
Remove the chrome ring (one small Philips screw), unscrew the securing nut
for the time-adjustment knob of your clock, remove the the 3 larger
Philips screws that are securing the cluster in the dash.

Now you can pull out the cluster a little (those wires are not so long to get it all the way out) and remove all the wires that are connected to the
gauges. Make a note how everything was connected if you still haven't
found your FSM back.

If you have the instrument cluster on the workbench, you can remove three
other Philips screws that are holding the Temp gauge in place.
You can take it out now.

Now comes the tricky bit, remove the dial from the gauge (two small
screws) but remove the small white wire that is running to a terminal on
the dial first!
You will see the inside of the Temp gauge now.
It will be easy then to remove the remainings of your old limiter so that
it is no longer connected to the terminals of the gauge.

You can go now for a NAPA replacement, but if you are handy with a solder
iron you can also go for a modern solid state voltage limiter.
That is why the old remainings of your defective limiter must be removed,
cause what we want to do is connected the the leads of the solid state
device to the terminals of temp gauge.
I have made this conversion a year ago and used the LT1083CP5 for it, it delivers a rocksteady 5 Volts and you can draw as much as 8 Amp. from it!

It is a very small device and it can be easily mounted at the back of your
temp gauge. The metal housing will be the heatsink for the voltage
regulator/limiter then.

I have make this conversion for almost a year ago now, and all the gauges
are working trouble free since then.

I know, this whole conversion thing sound rather complicated but it isn't!

I don't know how much you are in a hurry (problaby as much as I am to get
my car back on the road..) but please feel free to send the gauge (or
complete cluster to me) and I will do the conversion for you.

It will take 5 days to send it to me, and 5 days to send it back so within
2 weeks you should be able to fit the instrument cluster again.

Good luck,

Robert